Friday 7 December 2012

CAMHS

Yesterday, we went to CAMHS, the children's and adolescent mental health services. We had been referred by our paediatrician because of my son's meltdowns and anger issues.

When we were in the waiting room, I felt like I was in the wrong place, because my son was the only child in there. Most of the people waiting were teenagers.

I felt a bit lost at the appointment and I think both me and the practitioner wondered what we were doing there. From our discussion it became clear to me that my son wasn't really in the category of behaviour that they are used to dealing with and although he has meltdowns and tantrums, they are not constant and his general behaviour is good.

The lady offered me two sessions: one dealing with anger and another dealing with anxiety issues. I do not need to take my son with me. I think once I have done the sessions they will probably discharge him.

Although it wasn't for me, it is good to know that these organizations are available to help young people with mental health problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment