Thursday 13 December 2012

Bad Morning....

Yesterday was one of those days.....

5:30 a.m. Husband gets up for work and goes downstairs to get ready. One of the light bulbs in the living room blows out, tripping the circuit and leaving him in the dark. He fumbles and bangs around trying to find a torch to reset the circuit box (waking me up). At the same time, our "posessed" doorbell starts ringing out "It's a Small World". It never works any other time. I presume it has damp inside. I pull the duvet over my head and eventually drop off.

8:00 a.m. Cautiously open one eye and wonder why it is light. The last few mornings it has been dark. Glance over at my alarm clock. It says 7:20. It is set to go off at 7:30. Glance over to my hubby's alarm clock, which says 8:00. Realize that my clock has stopped and that I have overslept by half an hour.

I shout the kids to get up and run downstairs frantically trying to feed everyone. Feed kids and self and manage to stuff their lunchboxes with something, leaving a terrible mess in the kitchen.I'm aware that my hubby is bringing the mother in law back, but have no time to tidy up. Whack on the automatic air freshener in the hope that the nice smell will distract her from the mess.

8:20-8:35 Quickly get dressed and rush out of the house with kids.

8:45. Amazingly, we get to school on time. I have agreed to help my son with his work, but am keen to rush home and tidy up for arrival of MIL.

9:45. Having gone overtime, I leg it back home to tidy up. ETA of MIL 11:00 a.m. I still have time.

10:05 Arrive home. The place is a tip. There are open packets everywhere, washing up in the sink and lots of sticky surfaces. Frantically start washing up.

10:10 Aaaaaaarrggggh! Notice that the sink isn't draining. This may be connected to pouring the fat from the grill down it yesterday. The sink is now full of grey, smelly water with cheerios floating on top.

10:15-10:30 Frantically bail smelly water out of sink with a used can. Smelly water splashes all over floor and worktops.

10:30-10:40. Run to corner shop to get some plughole unblocker stuff. Run back home and pour it down plug.

10:40 Empty washing from the machine and start draping it over radiators. Why is it so dry? Sniff it and realize I never actually washed it. Throw it back in machine quickly.

10:45-10:55 Quickly wipe over all the sticky surfaces, fluff cushions and tidy up.

11:00 Good. they are not here yet. Dash upstairs.

11:05 Aaaaargh! The bathroom floor is covered in smelly towels and the sink is full of dried-on toothpaste. I hear the car pull up on the front.Grab towels and lob them in laundry. Grab some loo roll and wipe sink as they enter the front door.

11:06 Dash downstairs, jump on settee and put on a calm, serene expression. "Hello.." I say calmly..."Anyone want a cup of tea?"

No comments:

Post a Comment