Wednesday 5 December 2012

Autism and Money

I went to help out at school again yesterday. This time we were learning about money.

"OK..." I said. "How many ways are there to make 10p?"

"Well we could have 5p add 5p" replied my son, bright as a button.

I was pleased with this answer and presumed that he was going to "get it" straight away.

"Any other ways?" I asked.

"Yes. 9p add 1p"

"No." I sighed. "9p isn't a coin is it?"

"Er no. I mean 8p add 2p" he replied.

After about half an hour of that conversation, we then looked at the coins. He had real problems understanding what the values on the coin meant. For example, he thought that ten of any coin made 10p, because he didn't take any notice of the coin value.

It was a long hour and I am not sure we actually got anywhere.......

No comments:

Post a Comment