Friday 1 June 2012

Information Cards

It can be really hard when you are out and about with your autistic child and they suddenly decide to have a meltdown in the middle of a busy shopping centre or in the street.

Passers by shake their heads disapprovingly or whisper to one another, making judgements without really understanding the situation. The problem is, that for an autistic child, everything is a big deal and a potential cause for a meltdown. My son had a tantrum in the street not so long ago because he dropped a lolly on the path and I wouldn't let him pick it up. I dread the school run home because I know that he will find something to scream about on the way home, because he expects everything to be a certain way and if there is the slightest change in our routine, there is likely to be a meltdown.

Luckily, although most people stare when this is happening, I have only ever had one person make a nasty comment to me. She was very rude and judgemental and her comments hurt me deeply. I view such people as ignorant, as they have no understanding of autism and how it affects children.

Because of situations like this, the National Autistic Society provide information cards that can fit neatly into a purse or wallet. These can be handed out to members of the public to prevent misunderstandings. they give a brief explanation of autism or asperger syndrome. They are available from NAS at the cost of £2 for a pack of 50 cards + £3.95 P&P.

No comments:

Post a Comment