Tuesday 4 June 2013

Volunteering at School

Helping out at school is a great way for me to see my son in his "natural environment". I can see how well he interacts with the staff and other pupils. I have found it a real eye-opener.

The teacher asked me to help out in maths today because they were doing money again and my son really struggles with money.

In one task, he had to add 25p and 10p. He managed to add them up, but was then asked to find the coins to make a total of 35p. He grabbed a 20p piece but then looked puzzled, as there obviously was no 15p coin. He grabbed a 1p and a 5p and put them side by side. "15p" he said proudly.

He presumed that because there was a 1 on one coin and a 5 on the other coin, that it would total 15p if he put them next to each other.

I hope that we will be able to work on this together more in the coming weeks, as understanding money is such a vital life skill. At the moment, it is a complete mystery to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment