Wednesday 16 January 2013

Stroppy Classroom Assistant

As my son struggles with his maths, I often come into school and spend some time helping him. I don't mind doing this, even though I still feel in a way that I am doing what the school should be doing.

The teacher asked me to come in yesterday at 1:00. I trudged to the school (roughly 16 minute walk) in the cold and ice, trying not to slip over as the path was treacherous.

When I arrived, the teacher was there to greet me and told me that she wanted me to work with my son on his letter formations. She was not teaching the class that day, the teaching assistant was taking the lesson.

When I got to the classroom, the teaching assistant looked at me disdainfully, like I was mud on her shoe.

"Are you in the middle of a lesson?" I said. "..only I have come to do some work with my son."

"You are not needed." she snapped back.

I wasn't going to be intimidated by her.

" I have been asked by the teacher to come and work with my son. She has just met me at the door and told me what she wants me to do. I have no intention of going home. I have made the effort to come all this way and I will stay. I don't want to disrupt your lesson, so I will do 15 minutes with him."

I didn't wait for her approval. I just grabbed his literacy book off the shelf, collected my son and went out in the corridor to work with him. I actually ended up working with him for 30 minutes. I bet she loved that.

Honestly, I am doing them a favour coming in and taking time out of my day to do what is essentially their job, unpaid. What the bojangles is wrong with these people? A little gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment