Wednesday 9 January 2013

A Positive Meeting With School Staff

Yesterday, I had a meeting with the school staff following the incident before Christmas when my son was locked out of the school building.

His class teacher was present, as well as the head of year, SENCO and headteacher.

We put a plan in place to ensure that my son will be safe at all times. We covered topics such as how he will cope at breaktimes during unstructured time, help with getting dressed and moving around school.

Many positive steps were put in place which I feel very happy about. I will be outlining these in a future blogpost, as the SENCO is typing them up into an official document.

Another development of the meeting was the fact that the school are now going to consider statementing my son. This came as a major shock, as last time we tried, I was told that he was too bright academically. The SENCO explained that although my son was clever, he was vulnerable because he had a poor sense of safety, was panicky and struggled socially. If we can get enough evidence together over the next few months to form a case, she will consider going for the statement.

This will involve the teacher logging any occasions where she has to go above and beyond her normal duties when teaching my son. I will also be keeping a diary, logging times and dates of any significant incidents.

If he gets a statement, I will be relieved, because I think it would ensure his safety at senior school.

No comments:

Post a Comment