Tuesday 22 January 2013

Snow and Logistics!

We are currently experiencing a LOT of snow here in the UK and the school reopened today after being shut during the bad weather.

For a parent of an autistic child, the extra "stuff" that comes with the snowy weather can be a bit of a headache.

Firstly, I have to dress my son for the snow. That involves hat, gloves and wellies. No problem for a normal child, but send an autistic child into school with these items and it is unlikely you will see them again. As well as his snow kit, he also had to take his homework in today, but I didn't bother, as there was no way that he was going to be able to organize taking his coat and gloves off, removing his wellies and replacing them with shoes, putting his lunchbox on the trolley AND handing in the homework. It was simply too much mental overload. So I left the homework.

The next problem was that when we got to the school, they were using a different entrance, a side door. This threw my son completely. When i asked him if he knew where his classroom was, he said "no". Thankfully, the SENCO allowed me to guide my son to his classroom.

Then what do you know? Silly me had forgotten to pack his shoes! Son freaks out: "Oh no! I will have to wear my socks all day!!!!" panic...panic...I sent him into class and promised to get his shoes to him. I sent dad with them a little later. I hope he got them OK. On top of that, his teacher is ill, and I bet the stand-in has no clue about his autism.

Hometime will be the same crazy routine. I doubt my son will come out with all the stuff he went in with. Plus, he also has to remember his swimming kit, which he left behind last Friday.

Roll on the big thaw.....

No comments:

Post a Comment