Wednesday 17 April 2013

Latest IEP

Every few months we have to fill in an Individual Education Plan, which outlines the schools targets for my son.

We have had so many issues lately that I was really hoping that a statement might be on the agenda.

No chance.

The teacher and SENCO had already printed off a list of arbitrary targets for him to work on, such as times tables and letter formations. Nothing to address his social and emotional problems, which were conveniently brushed under the carpet.

I was told that if I need help with his anxiety issues, I will just have to go back to CAMHS.

Waste of time. My son hates school and cries every morning about going. The local council is doing some workshops about SEN, so I hope I can attend one of them and get some advice.

2 comments:

  1. Are you already involed with CAMHS? If not then I dont think you can refer yourself, school will have to do that.

    My experience with CAMHS was a very good one which I strongly suspect was down to the fabulous Community Nurse we had! He listened to me and understood my concerns about anything and everything to do with my son and more importantly would act on it!

    When he said that he would ne discharging us as my little boy had progressed better than expected and had 'outgrown' him, I had to resist the urge to grab on to him and start pleading

    "Dont go! Please dont go!Dont leave us!We need you"!

    which I thought would probably freak him out and he would definately discharge us, but much quicker! haha

    Hope them workshops will be worthwhile!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I saw the a few months ago, though we were discharged. Didn't find them very useful at all. Our local camhs gets very little funding and is undertstaffed. They don't really have much time for you.

    Glad your experience was better.

    ReplyDelete