Sunday 8 April 2012

The Downside of Games Consoles

In a previous post, I applauded the virtues of the games console as a great way to occupy autistic kids. They are fascinated with the games and the freedom that they offer.

However, I have noticed the downside and it was made all too clear to me today.

Slowly, over time, I have been using the games as a "babysitter". It was never my intention, but I am a busy mom with 3 kids and the games console is an easy way to entertain them. Plug it in and you have peace for a couple of hours, right?

School holidays have had me relying on the console more and more, especially as the weather has been so bad and we haven't been able to go outside much. The problems start when I try to get the kids off the thing.

My son screams as if his world as ended. The console seems to make the kids hyper and they have trouble entertaining themselves without it, as few things seem to offer the same brain-buzzing levels of stimulation. High on games, they start fighting each other and becoming aggressive, with poor levels of concentration. I don't buy violent games, but any game seems to make the kids aggressive due to the competitive element and frustration of completing a level. They seem desperate for their next games "fix" and after coming off one console, grab for the handhelds like addicts.

I have decided to limit the games consoles and only allow them for a short time period after school, with a bit longer on weekends. Hopefully this strategy will calm the kids down a bit and prevent all the aggression build up.

No comments:

Post a Comment