Saturday 7 April 2012

Action For Children

I managed to get a referral from my son's school so that he can access the facilities at the local Action For Children resource centre.

The centre caters for disabled children from  birth to 18, offering respite, support groups, playschemes and days out for disabled youngsters.

A lovely lady came to visit me at home and talk me through the options that were best for my son. They also offer a siblings group, where they take siblings of disabled children for an evening out once a month, which I think is a great idea for my older two, as they can sometimes get a bit resentful of the amount of attention that their little brother gets.

It also means that I will get a bit of a break from having to constantly supervise him and I will be able to do more with the family when he is on his trips ot playschemes. I am thankful that this service, and those like it exist. It will enable my son to gain confidence and a measure of independence, reinforcing and building on his social skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment