Thursday 26 January 2012

Anger Management

My little boy is usually quite passive, but when provoked, he can suddenly lash out by hitting, spitting or biting. It can be hard to get him to control his anger, as it comes on suddenly as a result of his frustation with a situation and his inability to deal with others in a diplomatic way.

There are various strategies for coping with these sudden outbursts. The lady on the autism helpline suggested that I buy a book called "The Red Beast", which is available on Amazon. It is a simple story designed to show the Asperger's or Autistic child how to deal with anger and how anger can build inside. I intend to get this book and I will post a review on here when I do.

Another book she suggested was called "When my Autism Gets Too Big". I checked this out on Amazon, but it was very expensive, and from the reviews on there it seems that the book is basically a five point scale with pictures that the child can point too to show how they feel. I could probably make something similar at home, so it is definitely worth a try, as I think it would be easier for him to show how he feels by pointing to a picture than by trying to put it into words.

Unfortunately, my little boy is being bullied at school by a group of boys, who like to try and get him to lose his temper. I am closely communicating with the class teacher and SENCO to make sure that the situation is contained. The lady on the autism helpline suggested that I download some materials to give to the teacher, as teachers are not automatically experts on autism and Asperger's.

No comments:

Post a Comment