Tuesday 6 November 2012

The School Bully

Yes. I'm writing yet ANOTHER post about bullying. Unfortunately, kids with autism have poor social skills and are often the target of bullies. This problem is unlikely to go away any time soon but hopefully I can arm my son with some of the skills he needs to survive school.

Last year my son suffered terribly at the hands of bullies, but a certain boy in particular made him a target. The teacher at the time was very good at dealing with the problem and things went quiet for a while.

My son has been mentioning this boy a lot lately, but things came to a head yesterday. He said that the boy had twisted a paperclip open and had been trying to stab him with it. He also said that the boy had picked his nose and tried to wipe it on my son's top. When my son goes into the corridor to get his coat, the bully blocks his way.

I have spoken to the teacher today, who was really good about it. My son often fails to mention incidents like this to the teacher, so I have been reinforcing the idea by reminding him to tell her. The teacher said she had actually found the paperclip and had taken it off the boy, although she didn't realise that he had been using it to try and stab people.

I will be logging all bullying incidents although of course, I would hope that there would not be any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment