Wednesday 28 March 2012

Compulsive Behaviour

My son has had a variety of compulsive behavious over the years. A behaviour may be something like tapping parts of the body, or shutting doors. The autistic person feels that they HAVE to complete these actions.

My son has started chewing his clothes. I think it is a nervous habit. He chews the sleeves and collars so badly that they get holes in them.

I have told him off a few times, but I'm not sure whether I should because he may not be able to help what he is doing.

I phoned Autism West Midlands and the lady on the helpline suggested that I buy him some special jewelry called "chewelry", which are rubber necklaces and bracelets for children to chew on. She also suggested trying baby teething rings or making him something out of fabric to chew.

She said that maybe the reason he chews is because he is finding it painful now his big teeth are coming through, or maybe it is to do with anxiety.

I am going to try and get some of those fabric sweat bands from the sports shop and some teething rings. I don't want to encourage the behaviour, but i would rather channel it elsewhere than have him chewing holes in his jumpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment