Friday 27 July 2012

Baby Videos

I was watching some videos of my son as a baby yesterday.

They shocked me.

The baby on screen was facing the camera, smiling, responding well to commands and interacting with others. You would never have thought that the child was autistic.

Indeed, my son was a bright, bubbly, responsive baby and at his 2 year health check, he scored highly on intelligence. I remember the health visitor being very impressed that he could count to 20.

Sometime between the ages of 2 and 3 years old, things changed, almost imperceptibly.

I saw a programme on TV a while ago where a mother described her autistic son as being a typical baby, but then one day, he seemed to have changed overnight, like a light went off in his brain.

Autism is such a mystery, but when it has sudden onset, it is even more puzzling.

No comments:

Post a Comment