Monday 26 March 2012

Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome

I have quite a lot of friends who have kids with AS, ranging from very young kids right through to young adults. One of my friends gave me a book to borrow. It is called "Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome".

The book is written by a 13 year old boy who has Aspergers. He is articulate, humerous and intelligent, and writes in a conversational style to the reader. He writes to give the perspective of a person with AS and explains how it affects him and his family in day to day life, as well as the trials of teenage life.

I found the book really useful, because it gave me an insight on what is going on in the mind of an AS child, why they have compulsions and obsessions and how they feel when people bully them or treat them badly. It also explained why they like video games so much. I loved the part where the boy explains various phrases that we use in everyday life that may confuse an AS child, who will take things literally (e.g. "pull your socks up").

I hope my son can grow up to be like the young author of this book, as I found him engaging and interesting to read about and he must be a real credit to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment