Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Food Dudes

My son has been doing Food Dudes all week at school.

It is a healthy eating scheme designed to get more kids eating fruit and vegetables.

The kids have to sample a fruit and vegetable at school and they get a prize. They also have to log all fruit and veg eaten at home.

This can be slightly problematic when it comes to autism, as kids with autism are hypersensitive to tastes and smells.

He gives most things a try, but a couple of days ago, the teacher tried to give him a red pepper to try. he had a nibble, but it was too strong for him. The teacher said that in order to qualify for his prize, he needed to eat a bigger piece. He refused, so he wasn't given a prize.

I am incredibly proud of my son for being brave enough to sample a strange food. I'm just disappointed at the teacher for not showing him a little leniency in this situation.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Louise, my name is Cameron and I had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping that you could email me back when you have a moment. I really appreciate it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to answer your questions Cameron but you haven't provided me with your email address!

    ReplyDelete